James Dixon Solicitor & Partner
James qualified as a solicitor in 2009. He specialises in commercial litigation, dispute resolution and insolvency law.
Prior to joining Summit Law LLP, James spent several years working in the offshore legal sector where he was a partner in a British Virgin Islands law firm, representing clients in the BVI courts on a range of multi-jurisdictional, high-value commercial litigation and insolvency matters.
|2011||Admitted as a solicitor of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court|
|2009||Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court|
|2003-2004||College of Law (Guildford)|
|1995-1998||University of Portsmouth|
Memberships & Associations
- The Law Society of England & Wales.
- BVI Restructuring and Insolvency Association (RISA).
Cases James has worked on
- Worked at a BVI law firm appointed as BVI Special Counsel for the trustee in the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC.
- Acted for clients in a case determined by the Privy Council concerning the mandatory or permissive nature of an arbitration clause in the context of obtaining a stay of court proceedings.
- Obtained worldwide freezing injunctions in numerous cross-border disputes.
- Acted in arbitration proceedings in shareholder disputes.
- Acted for a Formula One motor-racing team (sponsorship disputes/driver contract disputes) on reported decisions before the English High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Acted for an offshore foundation in a successful claim for breach of fiduciary against an art dealer in respect of undisclosed profits retained on the sale of a drawing by Leonardo da Vinci.
- Acted for the liquidator in a successful claim against a bank in relation to discrepant documents presented under a standby letter of credit.
- Regularly appeared as an advocate in the BVI Commercial Court on interlocutory applications, including obtaining freezing orders, enforcement orders (enforcing foreign judgments), and obtaining Norwich Pharmacal relief.
Something you didn’t know…
James enjoys racing classic sports cars and dusts off his racing overalls whenever the opportunity arises.