Sabina Ahmed Solicitor
Sabina qualified as a solicitor in May 2013 and joined Summit Law LLP in July 2020 after having previously worked at two different Legal 500 firms in London. Sabina works in the Family team, which is supervised by Warren Nichols.
Sabina deals with all aspects of family law with strong credentials in divorce, civil partnership dissolution, mid to high net worth financial remedy cases, cohabitation disputes and private law children matters including contact, residency and re-location disagreements.
2008-2009 The College of Law, London
2005-2008 The University of Southampton, (LLB) Hons Law
2003-2005 Northwood College for Girls, Greater London
Memberships and Associations
- The Law Society
- Association of Asian Women Lawyers
Examples of Sabina’s recent cases
- The highly debated and publicised case of Akhter-v-Khan  EWFC 54. Sabina successfully represented Mr Khan who sought to strike out an application for divorce made by his former partner, Mrs Akhter, on the premise that the parties were not legally married in the eyes of the law in England and Wales. At first instance, it was ruled that the parties’ Islamic marriage ceremony (a Nikkah), which had taken place in Greater London, would classify the parties’ relationship as a void marriage, allowing Mrs Akhter to make an application for financial relief against Mr Khan as his spouse. This decision was successfully overturned by the Court of Appeal (Akhter v. Khan  EWCA Civ 122) where it was deemed to be a non-marriage and therefore precluding Mrs Akhter from making a financial remedy application.
- Sabina successfully acted on behalf of a father in achieving the restoration of contact with his two year old daughter after being prevented from having any form of contact with her by the maternal family following the passing of the child’s mother. The maternal grandmother subsequently made an application for a Special Guardianship to essentially overrule the father’s parental responsibility and have the child permanently reside with her. Sabina not only defended the grandmother’s application but also made a successful application on behalf of the father which resulted in him becoming the primary carer of his daughter.
Defending an Enforcement Application
- Sabina acted on behalf of a father where she successfully defended an enforcement application initiated by the mother on the basis of non-payment of child maintenance. The court accepted the arguments put forward on behalf of the father and ruled that the initial court Order made in 2013 was no longer enforceable and therefore, the original amount of maintenance no longer payable.
Financial Remedy Proceedings
- Sabina secured a favourable financial settlement on behalf of her client in financial remedy proceedings. Prior to the first hearing, Sabina was able to successfully negotiate an out of court settlement where her client received an 80:20 split of the proceeds of the sale of the former matrimonial home along with a sizeable monthly maintenance.
What Sabina’s clients say about her
- “The level of service and advice has been exceptional”
- “Sabina has been an extremely diligent and competent solicitor. She has dealt with my case in an extremely professional manner”