Employment Lawyers London
Positive employer and employee relationships are crucial to business success. But navigating the minefield of employment law can be daunting. Not least because there are frequent legislative changes and severe repercussions if you get it wrong. This is why you need support from the best employment lawyers in London to assist with all your legal needs.
Supporting businesses, directors, and senior executives, we provide outstanding employment law advice that is comprehensive, well-thought-out, and bespoke to you and your situation.
Working proactively to keep relationships constructive, our London employment lawyers help our clients avoid contentious issues. But, where a dispute occurs, we have everything it takes to fight your corner and win. Crucially, we ensure that all the necessary processes and protocols are in place and followed to keep you in the best possible position.
On hand to help with a range of employment law issues, including complex matters, please get in touch with our employment lawyers in London today by calling 020 7467 3980 or completing the website enquiry form.
Our employment lawyers' areas of expertise
Our London-based employment lawyers have extensive experience across a comprehensive range of employee and employer matters. Delighted with the results we have achieved for our clients, we believe in a variety of approaches. So, when you appoint us, we take the time to get to know you and your objectives to serve you in the best possible way.
With clients across a wide range of sectors, including financial services, banking, media, technology, and more, we specialise in all the critical areas of employment law, including:
Employment lawyers in London for employers
It is vital to avoid potentially damaging and costly claims when running a successful and profitable business. But the unfortunate truth is that, in the majority of cases, a lack of up-to-the-minute and comprehensive legal advice on employment documentation means there are issues to be resolved.
Our London employment solicitors provide expertise and advice to keep our clients on the right side of the latest employment law legislation.
Making sure you are aware of changes in law or industry regulations, when you appoint us, we will deliver bespoke support that is cost-effective and appropriate to your business. Essentially, we provide the peace of mind that comes with knowing you are compliant when dealing with employment law matters. We do not believe in waiting for a crisis before ensuring our employer clients are prepared and protected.
Assisting on employment contracts, policies, and procedures, we also ensure you have everything you need to start relationships with staff (and other workers) on the right foot. And because we provide the expert legal advice required to ensure everyone understands what is expected of them, we help to keep employee/employer relationships positive and mutually beneficial.
However, because disputes are sometimes unavoidable, when conflict occurs, we help to resolve your problems efficiently, effectively, and to your satisfaction – whether via dispute resolution or litigation.
Employment lawyers in London for senior executives
Our employment lawyers advise some of the UK’s best senior executives on their legal rights and duties. Instructing our clients on matters such as restrictive covenants, we ensure that they begin their careers in the strongest possible position (including financially).
When a dispute occurs, we provide all the legal insight needed to help senior executives deal with complex employment law disagreements. Whether that’s through negotiation, mediation, or litigation.
Adopting a pragmatic, strategic approach to your situation, with an in-depth understanding of your sector and the challenges you face, our experienced employment law solicitors have the knowledge, experience, and skills to help you succeed. Furthermore, because we also act for employers, we have an in-depth understanding of the tactics deployed by businesses, and we use this knowledge to your advantage.
How our London employment solicitors can help you to resolve a dispute
Employment disputes can be both disruptive and costly, but quality legal action can help resolve any problems promptly and effectively. To ensure the best possible outcome, you must appoint an employment law team with the required experience, understanding, and skills.
At Summit Law, our employment lawyers in London have everything it takes to advise and guide you through the legal dispute process. And, in addition to resolving employee/employer quarrels, our considered and sensitive approach stops them from escalating.
Some of the ways we might resolve your workplace dispute are as follows:
Through a settlement agreement
A settlement agreement is a legally binding contract often used to end an employment relationship on agreed terms. You can also use a settlement agreement to resolve an ongoing workplace dispute without terminating the employment relationship. They are often deployed when an employee:
- Is being made redundant (either on a voluntary or compulsory basis)
- Has been harassed or bullied at work
- Has a potential discrimination claim
- Has been underperforming or is guilty of gross misconduct.
Settlement agreements prevent disgruntled employees from pursuing compensation claims, typically by offering a sum of money in return for signing the contract.
Our specialist employment solicitors have successfully negotiated hundreds of
favorable settlement agreements across various sectors, including financial services, banking, media, and technology.
Through Acas early conciliation
The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas) is a public body that receives funding from the government. It helps employers and employees to reach amicable solutions to their employment disputes. Acas aims to avoid costly and potentially time-consuming litigation through free, independent advice.
If you want to make a claim to an employment tribunal, you are required to attempt to negotiate early conciliation via Acas before you can proceed to litigation (although some claims are exempt).
When Acas considers an employment dispute, each side is allowed to present their case. The appointed Acas conciliation officer will listen to both sides of the argument and try to get both parties to reach a settlement. If an agreement cannot be reached, the matter can be progressed to an employment tribunal.
Through an employment tribunal claim
An employment tribunal is chaired by a judge, with the issue heard by a panel of non-legal specialists. To help boost their chances of a successful outcome at tribunal, employers must be aware of and follow all the latest best practices when it comes to disciplinary and grievance procedures. In particular, it is vital to keep written records of all employment decisions and ensure that all conversations and meetings are correctly recorded.
Of course, the easiest way to avoid an employment tribunal is to ensure that employees have no reason to complain. But, even with the very best intentions, disputes still happen. Our employment lawyers in London help our clients to reduce the risk of litigation through professional advice and support that leads to good policy and practice.
Furthermore, with changes to employment law coming into force regularly, we help ensure all relevant documentation, processes and training are periodically reviewed and updated to ensure compliance.
Employment solicitor London fees
A commercially astute law firm, we offer a range of flexible payment options, including retainers, fixed fees, and hourly rates, to meet the employment law needs of our clients. We also offer a fixed price, no-obligation initial consultation on all employment matters.
To ensure you never overpay, we also tailor the legal expertise provided to the task. So you will benefit from specialist partner advice on your case’s complex and critically important aspects, with paralegals undertaking more routine work. All work is supervised and delivered to the highest possible standards.
To give you an idea of our London employment lawyer fees, our current rates are as follows:
- Partner £443
- Associate £387
- Solicitor £249
- Paralegal £198
- Advice only. £750 to £5,000 plus VAT depending on time spent on the matter and the complexity of your issue
- Negotiating a settlement. £3,000 to £15,000 plus VAT
- Preparing for an Employment Tribunal. £10,000 plus VAT for a short simple claim and up to £50,000 or more plus VAT for longer more complex claims.
We may need to make payments on your behalf to third parties. These are known as disbursements. Typical disbursements include counsel fees, expert fees, travel expenses and court fees.
Counsel fees will vary according to the experience required and the complexity of your matter, but funds will be required before we can instruct counsel. We will obtain an estimate for your approval before incurring this expense on your behalf.
Employment solicitors London - FAQs
- Yes. Our knowledge of employment law means we can effectively manage risk and review your internal policies to ensure up-to-date compliance. With short time limits in employment law and the risk of not being able to recover costs, seeking early advice is imperative.
- Our expert employment solicitors can assess issues promptly and achieve resolutions. Ignoring a staff issue will not make it go away. Tackling employment law matters head-on and correctly can stop the problem from escalating. On the other hand, any undue delays in dealing with an employment dispute or grievance can lead to a claim for constructive dismissal.
- A settlement agreement is a legally binding document. However, a court may deem confidentiality clauses unenforceable and void where such agreements have been used to prevent employees from whistleblowing.
- If you are unhappy with the decision of an employment tribunal hearing, it may be possible to appeal to the Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT).
- Advice can normally be provided within two to four weeks or less if urgent. If we are required to provide advice, correspond with the other party, and achieve a settlement, the matter is likely to take six to eight months. If the matter proceeds to an employment tribunal claim, it could take between six months to two years to reach a conclusion.
There are two elements to unfair dismissal awards:
- The maximum compensatory award for unfair dismissal is one year’s salary or £93,878, whichever is lower. If you started a new job straight away on the same or more money, you won’t be entitled to any compensatory award.
- The basic award is based on your gross weekly pay when you were dismissed up to a maximum of £571 per year of service. The payout is capped at a maximum of £17,130.
All figures as of 6 April 2022.
- An employer or employee cannot change an employment contract without each other’s consent. Changes can be made after negotiation and agreement.
- If the employee does not agree to any changes, the employer can terminate the contract. However, they must follow the statutory minimum dismissal procedure. There are also other steps that must be followed if the change applies to a group of employees.
- If an employer cannot prove a sound business reason for the change, if the employee was not properly consulted, or if suitable alternatives were not considered, this may result in an unfair dismissal claim.
Reasons to trust our employment lawyers London
From employment contract disputes to settlement agreements, and everything in between, our highly recognised employment lawyers always put you first to achieve the most desirable outcome. From our Central London office, we regularly support both SME”s and employees nationwide with a wide range of employment law matters.
Here are some of the many reasons as to why you should enquire with our experienced London employment solicitors today.
Expert employment solicitors London
We specialise in the provision of employment law services to employers, senior executives, and directors. Through expert legal advice, support, and representation, often on complex issues, our employment solicitors assist with both contentious and non-contentious matters.
Fast client service
Where possible – to save time, disruption, and costs – we strive for a swift resolution without litigation. But, where you and the other side cannot reach an agreement, our highly skilled employment solicitors know what it takes to get a successful conclusion at tribunal.
Quality legal advice can be expensive, so we provide several funding options to ensure you get access to the very best employment lawyers in London. Moreover, so that you always feel in control, as well as providing an estimate before we start your case, we will also update you as your case progresses, so there are never any nasty surprises.
Our employment lawyers are recognised across the legal sector as a force to be reckoned with, and our Lexcel Accreditation status recognises our commitment to outstanding client care.
Speak to our employment solicitors in London today
Our expert employment law solicitors get to know you, your legal needs, and your business, and we are always on your side. What’s more, if you are facing an employment dispute, we are here to remove the burden from your shoulders with minimal disruption.
Respected by our clients and peers, we have acted for many businesses across most industry sectors. And with an impressive client list that includes individuals to corporations, we have vast experience across the spectrum of employment law matters.
With all the expertise, skill and commercial know-how needed to handle complex employment law matters and disputes, please get in touch with our employment lawyers in London today by calling 020 7467 3980 or completing our online enquiry form.